When golfers use a traditional putter grip, they often grip too hard, leading to tension in the hands, arms, and shoulders. With a fat putter grip, the pressure gets distributed more evenly, thus reducing tension and promoting a more relaxed and comfortable grip.
The best fat putter grips are thicker than traditional putter grips and have been gaining popularity in recent years due to their ability to improve putting performance.
If you’re interested in trying out a fat putter grip, you’re in luck. There are plenty of options available on the market today, but who has the time to go through all that?
In this blog post, we’ll take a closer look at the best fat putter grips for 2023, comparing their unique features and discussing the pros and cons of each.
|Best Overall||Best Feeling||Best Budget Pick|
|Super Stroke Fatso 5.0||Winn Pro X||Karma Black Jumbo Putter Grip|
|Price Score (100)||85||90||80|
|Grip Pressure (100)||90||85||80|
What Is a Thick Putter Grip?
The thickness of a putter grip can vary depending on the specific model and brand. Still, generally, a putter grip that is considered “thick” has a larger diameter than a standard putter grip.
A standard putter grip typically has a diameter of around 1 inch (25.4mm), while a thick putter grip can range from around 1.25 to 1.75 inches (31.8 to 44.5mm) in diameter or more.
However, the diameter considered “thick” can be subjective and vary depending on the golfer’s hand size and personal preference. It’s important for golfers to try different grip sizes to find the one that feels most comfortable and promotes a consistent stroke.
Read more: Golf Grip Size Chart
Why You Should Trust Us
We can bring these reviews to you through the small commissions we earn if you buy through the links below.
How We Reviewed These Products
Golfspan only shares equipment and brands we trust.
An experienced golfer from our team thoroughly researched and evaluated the products we shared below. Then an editor reviewed and fact-checked the list. Finally, we conduct regular content audits to update and revise our reviews to ensure you receive the latest information.
To select these grips, we considered these criteria:
- Color options
Read more: The Best Putter Grips
In-Depth Reviews—Best Fat Putter Grips 2023
- Requires up to 32% less grip tension compared to traditional fat golf grips
- Non-tapered design ensures even pressure in both hands
- Slip-on design for quick and easy installation
- Part of the Legacy Series, which features a sleek new design
- Some golfers may find it too light
- Some golfers may prefer a more traditional grip design
|Number of Color Options||10|
The SuperStroke Fatso Legazy Series Putter Grip is a stylish and reliable choice for golfers of all levels. This jumbo putter grip offers a unique design with a large surface area that allows more of the grip to come in contact with the hands, reducing wrist breakdown and encouraging a smooth, fluid putting stroke.
In fact, scientific tests have shown that the Fatso 5.0 requires up to 32% less grip tension compared to traditional putter grips.
One of the key features of the SuperStroke Fatso 5.0, which I absolutely love, is its patented non-tapered design. This ensures even pressure in both hands and eliminates added tension in the wrist and forearms, and ultimately allows for a pendulum putting stroke. This is especially useful as it can help to improve accuracy and distance control on the greens.
Additionally, the SuperStroke Fatso 5.0 is the lightest jumbo putter grip on the market, weighing in at just 85 grams. The SuperStroke Fatso 5.0 is available in the stylish Midnight Black color option and is part of the Legacy Series, which features a sleek new design.
Who’s It For?
As a slip-on design, installation is quick and easy, making it an excellent choice for golfers who prefer to do their own grip changes.
- Non-tapered design provides a more uniform stroke and better alignment
- Effective in reducing hand stress and counterbalancing heavier putters
- Soft, patented texture offers stability while calming small muscles during the stroke
- Highly effective for improving putting accuracy within five- and six-foot ranges
- More expensive than some other oversized putter grips on the market
- Sticky texture may not appeal to everyone
|Number of Color Options||6|
The Winn Pro X Fat Grip is a jumbo-sized putter grip that has garnered popularity among golfers, including those on the PGA and LPGA tours. One of its most notable benefits is its ability to improve putting accuracy, particularly within five- and six-foot ranges.
The Winn Pro X Fat Grip’s non-tapered design makes it unique, which means it maintains the same 1.6-inch diameter throughout its 21-inch length. This consistency in grip provides golfers with a more uniform stroke and better alignment.
In addition to its design, the Winn Pro X Fat Grip is also effective in reducing hand stress and counterbalancing heavier putters. It weighs 125 grams and features a soft, patented texture that offers stability while calming small muscles during the stroke.
Although the Winn Pro X Fat Grip is highly effective for improving putting accuracy, some golfers may find it a disadvantage due to its larger size.
Who’s It For?
The Winn Pro X Fat Grip is a highly recommended investment for golfers looking to improve their putting game. However, it is more expensive than some other oversized putting grips on the market and may be best suited for those who are familiar with how grip putter pros use oversized grips.
- Luxuriously comfortable synthetic material absorbs jarring vibrations
- Expansive, textured surface provides a non-slip grip
- Tacky enough to hold steady even in damp conditions
- Sleek jet black color exudes a professional aesthetic
- Affordable price
- May not be as durable as some higher-end options
- Some golfers may find it too soft
|Number of Color Options||5|
Crafted from a luxuriously comfortable synthetic material, this grip is designed to absorb even the most off-center strikes effortlessly, leaving your hands feeling smooth and your ball rolling true.
And with its expansive, textured surface, you’ll have a perfectly secure and non-slip grip that’s tacky enough to hold steady even in damp conditions. The grip is also available in a sleek jet-black color that exudes a timeless and professional aesthetic.
Nonetheless, there are some drawbacks to this grip that you should keep in mind. A few golfers have reported that the Karma Black Jumbo Putter Grip isn’t as durable as some of the higher-end options out there. However, given its low cost and luxurious feel, it’s still an exceptional choice for many golfers.
Who’s It For?
In short, if you’re searching for a sublime fat putter grip that will help you keep a steady hand on the green without breaking the bank, the Karma Black Jumbo Putter Grip is definitely worth your consideration as it happens to be one of the most used golf grips on tours.
- Ping’s innovative AVS technology helps golfers align their grip correctly
- Soft and durable rubber material offers a comfortable and secure feel
- Absorbs shock, reducing torque and minimizing grip pressure
- Ideal for players with larger hands or those who prefer a thick putter grip
- Some golfers may find it too thick
- May not be as tacky as some other options
|Number of Color Options||1|
|Materials||Soft Rubber Compound|
Introducing the Ping AVS Oversize grip, designed with golfers’ comfort and performance in mind. This grip features Ping’s innovative AVS technology that uses contrasting colors to help golfers align their grip correctly. With the soft and durable rubber material, this grip offers a comfortable and secure feel that can absorb shock, reducing torque and minimizing grip pressure.
The jumbo size of the grip adds extra comfort, and it is ideal for players with larger hands or those who prefer a thicker grip. The textured design of the grip ensures that it is non-slip, providing a secure grip even in wet conditions. It has a ribbed design on the underside, which helps with finger placement and grip consistency.
The Ping AVS Oversize grip is relatively lightweight at 60 grams for an oversize jumbo grip putter, and it fits most standard-sized golf shafts. This grip is available in multiple colors, including black, white, red, blue, and green.
Who’s It For?
Overall, the Ping AVS Oversize grip offers an unforgettable feel that golfers will appreciate. Although it may be more expensive than other grips, its innovative features and benefits make it a strong contender for the best-oversized putter grip around.
- Provides a softer response that’s great for players who prefer a more delicate touch
- Available in four size options
- Polyurethane material gives it a tacky feel, enhancing grip
- Spyne Technology feature helps index the club, in the same way, every time, ensuring consistency
- Firm rubber core provides excellent torsion control, making it feel more solid and easier to control
- Some golfers may find it too soft
- Some golfers may prefer a firmer grip
|Number of Color Options||4|
|Materials||Soft Tack Rubber|
If you’re searching for a golf grip that provides a top-notch feel and performance, the SuperStroke Traxion Tour club grip is worth checking out. With its textured appearance, this grip is available in two color options – red/white/black/silver and white/black/grey.
Essentially, the Traxion Tour grip boasts a softer response that’s great for players who prefer a more delicate touch. This grip is also available in four size options, with the large putter grip size providing an even softer response. The polyurethane material used in this grip gives it a tacky feel, which is sure to enhance your grip.
Moreover, the Spyne Technology feature helps index the club, in the same way, every time, ensuring consistency in your play.
Similarly, the firm rubber core provides excellent torsion control, making it feel more solid and easier to control. The larger profile can help you quiet down your wrists during your swing, leading to more squared club faces and faster swing speeds.
Who’s It For?
All in all, the SuperStroke Traxion is an excellent option for players who prefer a softer, more consistent grip. In fact, this goes perfectly with a face-balanced putter.
- Soft-tuned SNSR rubber material provides a comfortable and soft feel
- Tapered construction reduces hand fatigue and promotes a lighter grip pressure
- Textured surface provides a tacky and non-slip feel for consistent grip
- Reduces torque and minimizes grip pressure for improved accuracy
- Relatively expensive compared to other putter grips
- Available in only two shapes, straight and contour
- Limited color options
|Number of Color Options||3|
|Materials||Rubber with SNSR compound and soft texture|
The Golf Pride SNSR Contour grip is designed to help golfers gain better control over the flow of their putts. Its soft-tuned SNSR rubber material provides a comfortable and soft feel while also encouraging a lighter grip pressure for a better impact feel.
The tapered construction of the grip makes it easier to hold and reduces hand fatigue during long rounds of play. The grip also features an attractive black, yellow, and red color design that makes it stand out on the putter.
Additionally, Pride Tour’s textured surface provides a tacky and non-slip feel, which can help golfers maintain a consistent grip in wet conditions. It is available in two shapes, straight and contour, with different sizes for each.
The grip reduces torque and minimizes grip pressure, which can help golfers hit more consistent and accurate shots. It is relatively lightweight, with a core size of 0.60 inches, which fits most standard-sized shafts.
Who’s It For?
Though it’s a bit pricey, the SNSR Contour grip is a great investment for golfers who are serious about improving their putting game.
- Dri-Tac performance material enhances grip and slip resistance in all weather conditions
- Reduced size offers excellent feedback and superior control on the green
- Slip-resistant design helps maintain grip in damp or humid conditions
- Grip may cause excess wrist movement
- Only available in one color
- May not appeal to golfers seeking a more colorful or customized look
|Number of Color Options||9|
The Winn Dri-Tac Pistol putter grip utilizes Dri-Tac performance materials for slip resistance in all weather conditions, providing golfers with a secure grip. The reduced grip size offers excellent feedback for superior control on the green, promoting light grip pressure that reduces hand fatigue.
The grip’s slip-resistant design minimizes the risk of your palms slipping off the rubber in damp or humid conditions, which helps improve your overall grip on the club.
However, the grip may cause excess wrist movement, which is not ideal for golfers who prefer a firmer, more stable grip on their putter.
Additionally, the Winn Dri-Tac Pistol is only available in one color, which may not appeal to golfers seeking a more colorful or customized look.
Who’s It For?
Despite these limitations, the Winn Dri-Tac Pistol remains an excellent option for those who prioritize maximum traction in their putter grip and desire a classic, comfortable grip design.
- Etched pattern provides consistent traction and control
- Comes in several sizes and colors to fit your style
- Resists weathering for a consistent grip feel round after round
- Precise surface texture created using laser etching process
- May cause excessive wrist movement during stroke
- Limited color options
- Not the most budget-friendly option on the market
|Number of Color Options||3|
|Materials||Polyurethane with shallow etched pattern for a secure grip|
The Lamkin Deep Etched fat grip truly lives up to its name. This rubber grip is designed to stay tacky and durable, even over time.
Plus, it comes in several sizes and colors to fit your style. Whether you’re playing with a standard, midsize, or oversize grip, the etched pattern ensures you’ll have consistent traction and control.
The precise surface texture of the grip is created using a laser etching process, resulting in a high level of quality and performance. The traditional tapered design with a slightly larger diameter in the bottom hand provides added stability and control.
Best of all, this grip resists weathering, so you can enjoy a consistent grip feel round after round. No wonder it’s been used by professional golfers like Justin Rose and Brandt Snedeker, who have praised its exceptional grip and feel.
Who’s It For?
Just keep in mind that while it’s great for judging power on longer putts, it may cause excessive wrist movement during the stroke so its intended for those who don’t mind the workout and are okay with a handful of color options.
- Ribbed, textured surface provides a comfortable, secure grip
- High-tech alignment system helps golfers line up putts accurately and consistently
- Flat front design promotes square clubface at impact for straighter putts and consistent ball speed
- Standard core size and lightweight design for increased swing speed and reduced hand fatigue
- Limited edition grip may be difficult to find or not available in the future
- Bold design may not be suitable for golfers who prefer a more traditional or understated look
- Higher price point compared to some other big putter grips
|Number of Color Options||1|
Loudmouth’s Shagadelic Jumbo Putter Grip is a limited edition grip with a bold, eye-catching design that will make your golf club stand out.
The ribbed, textured surface provides a comfortable, secure grip, promoting a consistent grip position and swing. The grip features a high-tech alignment system that helps golfers line up their putts accurately and consistently, resulting in lower scores.
Similarly, the flat front design promotes a square clubface at impact, leading to straighter putts and consistent ball speed.
Loudmouth’s Shagadelic Jumbo Putter Grip has a standard core size of 0.580 inches and weighs around 60 grams, increasing swing speed and reducing hand fatigue.
Who’s It For?
Overall, the grip is easy to install with basic tools, and being made by Loudmouth Golf, known for its colorful and bold golf apparel and accessories, makes it perfect for those who want to add some personality and style to their game.
Buying Guide For The Biggest Putter Grips
Choosing the Right Size
To make sure you’re getting the perfect size fat putter golf grip, you need to know your hand’s measurements and whether any would fit you the best between midsize vs standard sized golf grips. Start by extending your hand and measuring the distance between the base of your palm and the tip of your middle finger.
We also recommend going through the golf grip size chart, as it’ll make the whole process easier.
Make sure you don’t compromise on the size. Too small, and you’ll lack stability; too big, and you’ll lose touch and feel.
Considering the Material
Choosing the right material for your fat putter golf grip is pretty much a make-it-or-break-it game when going for longevity.
You have several options to consider, including synthetic, leather, and rubber. Synthetic grips are the most affordable and durable option but lack the premium feel of leather grips.
Leather grips offer a luxurious touch and feel but require more maintenance than other materials. On the other hand, rubber grips are durable, provide a good grip, and are affordable.
Have you ever tried holding a putter with a grip that’s too slippery or rough? The texture of a fat putter golf grip can make all the difference in how comfortable and secure it feels in your hands.
Some golfers prefer a soft and tacky texture, like the Karma Black Jumbo Putter Grip, while others like a more durable and firm texture. Essentially, think about what feels most comfortable to you and what type of conditions you’ll be playing in.
Different designs can provide unique features and benefits that improve your grip and game. Some grips are designed to promote a specific grip style, such as the reverse taper grip that encourages a lighter grip pressure on the top hand.
For example, the Winn Pro X grip features a tread pattern that provides a tacky feel, making it an excellent choice for golfers who prefer a more responsive grip.
Others, such as the pistol grip, provide a natural resting place for your fingers, which can alleviate pain and fatigue during long rounds.
High-end grips like the Golf Pride Tour SNSR and the Lamkin Deep Etched come at a premium price but offer excellent quality and durability.
Meanwhile, budget-friendly options like the Karma Black Jumbo Putter Grip are affordable without compromising grip quality. Keep in mind that the cost of a grip does not always indicate its performance, so it’s essential to choose a grip that fits your budget and needs.
What Are The Benefits of Fat Putter Grips?
Fat putter grips have become increasingly popular, and there are several potential benefits to using them:
- Reduced grip pressure: A larger grip can help reduce grip pressure, benefiting golfers who tend to grip the putter too tightly. This can lead to a more relaxed stroke and improved feel.
- More stability: A larger grip can also provide more stability during the putting stroke, which can help golfers maintain a consistent stroke path and reduce the tendency for the putter face to twist or turn.
- Improved alignment: Many fat putter grips have alignment aids built in, which can help golfers square up the putter face and align it more consistently.
- Increased comfort: Some golfers find that larger putter grips are more comfortable to hold, especially if they have larger hands or suffer from hand fatigue or arthritis.
- Customizable weight: Many fat putter grips are available in different weights, which can be used to fine-tune the balance and feel of the putter to suit the golfer’s preferences.
It’s worth noting that while fat putter grips can be beneficial for some golfers, they may not be the right choice for everyone. Golfers should experiment with different grip sizes and styles to find the best one for their game.
How Does The Weight Of A Fat Putter Grip Affect A Golfer’s Putting Stroke?
The weight of a fat putter grip can affect a golfer’s putting stroke by altering the overall balance and feel of the putter. Heavier grips can increase the swing weight of the putter, making it feel more stable and easier to control. However, a grip that is too heavy can also make the putter difficult to swing smoothly.
Can The Installation Of A Fat Putter Grip On A Putter Affect The Balance And Overall Feel Of The Club?
Yes, the installation of a fat putter grip can affect the balance and overall feel of the club since the weight and size of the grip can alter the swing and moment of inertia of the putter. This can affect how it feels and performs.
Can A Fat Putter Grip Help Golfers With The Yips Or Other Putting-Related Mental Challenges?
Yes, a fat putter grip can help golfers with the yips or other putting-related mental challenges. The larger grip diameter can promote a more relaxed and stable grip, reducing tension in the hands and wrists. This can help golfers avoid jerky or twitchy movements that can cause yips or other putting errors.
While all the products we reviewed were of high quality, one putter grip stood out as the clear winner: the Super Stroke Fatso 5.0.
We found it to deliver the perfect blend of comfort, stability, and performance-enhancing features. And let’s not forget its unique oversized design and high-tech polyurethane material make it a business that delivers unparalleled feedback and a solid, consistent stroke every time.
In the end, you may fancy another fat putter grip, but regardless of which one you go with, the ones on this list are guaranteed to give you an edge on the greens.
Clint became the Head Teaching Professional at one of Toronto’s busiest golf academies and was featured on Canada’s National Golf TV program, “Score Golf Canada,” twice. He now tests and reviews golf equipment and gets to enjoy the game he loves whenever he wants while helping people lower their scores.