This is especially true if you need the cash and do not want to trade the clubs in for loyalty points. This article will give you some advice on where to trade in golf clubs for cash.
Many online businesses trade in golf clubs and most of them offer a great service. Some of them will only trade your clubs in for loyalty points to provide you with discounts on your next purchase. This is not always convenient and in this piece, we will look at options where you can trade your clubs for cash.
Before looking at the traders there are some points that you need to consider when looking at the price that you may get for your used golf clubs. We won’t go into the specifics of what your golf clubs are worth but rather provide you with pointers to consider how the process is calculated.
There are 2 prevailing prices in the market for used golf clubs; the Private Market Value and the Trade-in value.
- Private Market Value is the price that a private buyer will be prepared to pay and is normally slightly more than the Trade-in value.
- Trade-in Value is what you will get when trading your clubs in at a retailer
The Private Market Value is generally higher than the Trade-in Value as it is a direct sale between two people and there are no intermediaries involved. However, this is also the more difficult and risky way of selling your clubs.
Online vs Brick-and-Mortar
Selling your clubs online can be highly effective as there is a much bigger market that you can target. The brick-and-mortar market will be more efficient but yield lower prices due to the market being much smaller, but you will get your cash immediately.
Places that you can consider selling your used golf clubs at:
- Online golf club trade-in stores
- Online marketplaces & forums
- Local golf club selling options
- My Golf Spy Forum
- Reddit Golf Classifieds (r/golf classifieds)
- Facebook golf buy/sell/trade groups like Golf Clubs/Equipment Buy & Sell America
What Affects the Value of Golf Clubs?
Some specific areas will play a tremendous role in the price that you will get for your used golf clubs.
Some brands are more sought after and will reach higher prices than little known brands that have not built up the reputation of manufacturing reliable and durable golf clubs.
Type of Club
The type of club that you are selling plays a significant role in the price. Drivers are the most expensive when purchased new and will therefore demand a higher price when you are selling.
Following drivers, your fairway woods will command a higher price than your hybrids or individual irons.
Wedges and putters are personal to individuals and people will pay decent prices for quality wedges and putters.
Shafts are made from either steel or composite materials such as graphite. The flex and other technical detail can make some shafts more desirable for top-end buyers.
Completeness of the Irons Set
Irons are generally sold in sets ranging from a 3 iron to a sand wedge. A complete set with 8 irons will achieve a higher selling price than a set that has 6 irons even if the set of 6 is complete as purchased.
- For 8 consecutive numbered clubs you can expect 100% of the value
- For 7 consecutive numbered clubs you can expect 87.5% of the value
- For 6 consecutive numbered clubs you can expect 75% of the value
- For 5 consecutive numbered clubs you can expect 62.5% of the value
- For 4 consecutive numbered clubs or less you can expect less than 50% of the value
Older clubs are generally less desirable than a newer model and will not sell for the same or similar price. You may achieve a similar percentage return of the original price but it will be less in real terms. This is due to later models generally being more expensive.
The amount of wear and tear that frequently used golf club has to endure will make it difficult to sell. There is a difference between a club that has been used often and shows signs of wear and tear and a club that has been damaged. Damaged clubs will be more difficult to sell and not achieve a reasonable price.
- Used golf clubs that require the grips to be replaced is still feasible to trade as the grip can be replaced. Other wear such as a loosehead, dents, or chips will make the club unsellable.
- Adjustments that you made to the loft or lie of a club should not exceed 3 inches from the manufacturer’s standard
We have identified and reviewed a few merchants that will either trade your used golf clubs in for cash or allow you to use their platform to sell it to other golfers for cash.
Golf Club Brokers are located in Canton, Georgia, and have been trading in golf equipment on eBay since 2006 before developing their proprietary website.
Their mission statement states that they strive to help you to turn golf clubs into cash and eliminate the hassles and risks associated with selling your clubs. They have managed to do this quite successfully over the years.
eBay Top-Rated Seller
Golf Club Brokers has been selling on eBay since 2006 with a 99.9% feedback rating and is certified as a Platinum Power Seller and a Top Rated seller.
Obtaining a quote for your clubs is quite straightforward. You select the details from their database of clubs that they will trade-in and it immediately provides you with a quote. The price that you are quoted is extremely competitive.
The process to sell your clubs is quick without any hidden fees and they commit to matching any offer that you may have received from another merchant if:
- The competitor’s offer is for cash and not loyalty points or gift cards
- The competitor can be verified as a reputable business
- The competitor quoted on the exact club that was quoted when you requested a quote on the Golf Club Brokers website
- You provide the information and include a link to the website and the item you are requesting the price match for in the email
The process is extremely easy:
- First, you get a quote on the website by selecting the details of the club from the dropdown boxes. They have a huge database that you can select from.
- Once you have accepted the quote you send your clubs to them via courier. You are provided with a shipping label that you can print from the website once you complete and accept the quote. All quotes exceeding $100 will receive free local shipping.
- There will be no further negotiation on the price as the trade-in value that you are quoted is guaranteed and that is the amount that you will be paid.
- Once you have accepted the quote the deal can be completed swiftly. Payment will be made within 1 business day of your golf clubs being delivered. Payment can be made via company check or PayPal. Golf Club Brokers is a verified PayPal seller. Verification increases the overall security of the PayPal network because most buyers prefer to do business with Verified sellers.
Golf Club Brokers have built up a good reputation over the years and provides a good service and no-hassle trading process.
Although they match prices from genuine competitors on right-handed golf clubs, they do not offer the same on left-handed golf clubs.
GolfX is part of Turner Group Inc. and has been in the used golf club trading business since 2012. Their current head office is just outside of Boston, MA.
The company started when the Turner Group launched TheGolfStand.com in 2012. This was a dedicated e-commerce website for used golf equipment and golf accessories.
In 2013 TheGolfStand opened a mobile golf shop at local driving ranges in Massachusetts enabling golfers to sell used golf equipment to their mobile selection.
In 2014 the company launched Sellstant.com enabling golfers to sell used golf equipment into cash. In 2016 the company launched its latest option and the GolfX indoor golf center with 3 Golf Simulators became a reality. Golfers can sell their clubs at the center for cash.
In early 2017 ShopGolfX.com was launched culminating all their services into a single website
GolfX enables you to sell new and used golf clubs, range finders, and GPS units at highly competitive prices through an uncomplicated process.
Finding the golf equipment that you want to sell is not as straightforward as some of the competitors but once you have used the site the process will be easy to navigate. Quotes are not fixed, and you will receive a final quote once they have received your equipment. If you do not accept the new quote, they will return your equipment at no cost.
On quotes exceeding $100, you will not have to pay the shipping costs. Quotes less than $100 will incur shipping costs of $5. The shipping label can be printed from the website
They aim to process payment within 24 hours after you have accepted the quote, but it could take as long as 3 business days.
3. Pro Clubs
The cash-for-clubs program was developed with the seller in mind and consists of two primary goals:
- Ease of use
- Top cash values
The Club Finder is straightforward and in line with most competitors
- Set up an account
- Obtain a quote
- Ship your clubs
- Receive payment
ProClubs.com was formed more than 10 years ago in response to the limited availability of affordable pro-line equipment and low cash offers that were made for clubs. It is a family-owned business that has completed more than 100,000 online transactions.
They put their customers at the top of their priority list and pride themselves on the level of customer service that they provide.
Trading in left-handed clubs is limited to a maximum of 10 clubs per account per annum and it only operates within the USA.
Payment is made via company check or PayPal within 24 hours of receipt of your used golf clubs
The photo quote service is still in place and works straightforward.
- Firstly, you have to take a picture with your mobile phone of the equipment you want to sell.
- Then you text the image to their mobile service at 651-271-9198 (USA number)
- They will then provide you an instant quote on the equipment.
Golfstix started by providing quotes via phone and email before launching its New Golf Stix Value Guide in January of 2014 thus enabling PGA Professionals, retail stores, and individual golfers to trade over 7,000 golf clubs online.
They provide competitive values and innovative technology to allow you to sell & trade golf clubs and other golf equipment.
Selecting the equipment on the website is easy to navigate and the quote is available instantly.
The process is similar to its competitors where you accept the quote, ship the clubs to their facilities, and receive payment. However, they charge $9.99 for each shipping label that you print. Payment can be made via PayPal or company check.
5. Sell a Club
Sell a Club trades in used golf clubs and provides online quotes. They will pay cash for your clubs. Getting a quote is simple and straightforward but to accept the quote and proceed with the sale you have to register on the site.Once registered you can either accept or decline the quote and print shipping labels. Shipping is overseen by UPS and the shipping costs are included in the quoted price. No shipping will be levied for sales over $500.
Shipping instructions are well set out and there is a good explanation of the packaging materials to be used when sending your used golf clubs to their facility in Weatherford, Texas.
Upon receipt of the package, they will evaluate your used golf clubs and re-quote if the condition differs from your assessment. If you accept the quote, you will receive payment via PayPal.
Selling your golf clubs for cash online is an easy and straightforward process. Most online purchasers of used golf clubs follow the same process of a quote, ship, and payment. Some companies require you to register first to increase their membership even before you decide whether the quote is acceptable or not.
Generally, payment is made via company check or PayPal and within 24 hours of receipt of the used golf clubs.
Our top pick is the Golf Club Brokers for their easy to navigate website, pleasing customer experience, and their top-rated seller status on eBay.
- Where To Buy Used Golf Clubs – The Best Places Both Local and Online
- Best Golf Club Shipping Boxes For Selling Clubs