Coming to Austin, Texas, you may wonder about the best spots in the city to play golf. Austin boasts over 28 courses where you can play.
Many golfers recognize Austin as the perfect golf city because you can swing the club all year due to good weather. From March to October is usually seen as the ideal time to visit. Let’s take a look at the best golf courses in Austin Texas.
The 10 Best Golf Courses in Austin, Texas
1. Hancock Golf Course – Oldest Golf Course in Austin
|Address||811 E 41st St, Austin, TX|
|Hours||6:30 am to 8:30 pm|
|Price Range||$14 – $20|
- An awesome golf course for beginners
- A historic municipal golf course
- 9-hole golf course
Lewis Hancock, the mayor of Austin, started the Hancock Golf Course in 1899. It ranks as one of the oldest golf courses in Texas. It’s an easy golf course to play on, and it never feels overcrowded here making it one of the best Austin golf courses.
2. Wolfdancer Golf Club – Most Fun Golf Course
|Address||575 Hyatt Lost Pines Rd, Cedar Creek, TX|
|Hours||8 am to 5 pm|
|Price Range||$80 – $140|
- Located 20 miles to the east of Austin
- No boring holes – every hole is unique and challenging
- An exhilarating public golf course opened in 2006
The Wolfdancer Golf Club has a growing reputation in the American Southwest. Playing on this golf course feels like playing on two courses rolled into one big 18-hole course. For the first 12 holes, you will swing a club over rolling prairies, but the last 6 holes take you through the river valley. The course offers some great water features that they designed particularly well.
3. Omni Barton Creek Resort – Best Golf Resort in Austin
|Address||8212 Barton Club Dr, Austin, TX|
|Hours||8 am to 9 pm|
|Price Range||$120 – $500|
- Sits on 4,000 acres in the picturesque Texas Hill Country
- Consists of four separate golf courses
- One of the most prestigious golf resorts in Austin
Nestled in the Texas Hill Country, Barton Creek Country Club sits on 4,000 acres of picturesque hills. Most recognize it as the most prestigious golf resort in Austin. It’s one of the best golf courses in Austin. You can choose from four courses at Barton Creek that include Fazio Canyons, Fazio Foothills, Palmer Lakeside, and Coore Crenshaw. The greens and fairways on all the courses look great and offer fantastic views.
Also Read: Which Golf Clubs are Made in the USA?
4. Golf Club at Star Ranch – Most Scenic Course in Austin
|Address||2500 Farm to Market 685, Hutto, TX|
|Hours||6 am to 8 pm|
|Price Range||$35 – $65|
- The 71-par course stretches over 7,030 yards
- Clean practice areas where you hit plenty of balls
- Players’ club program that can be used monthly (meant for snowbirds)
This 18-hole course in North Austin feels wide open and well-maintained. Many golfers said that they loved the open fairways. The staff keep the greens gorgeous with good elevations and water features. You won’t find this course punishing, but some holes require a strategic mind. One thing to be aware of with this course is that the wind is always blowing, which you will need to account for with your shots.
5. Falconhead Golf Club – Best Public Course
|Address||15201 Falcon Head Blvd, Austin, TX|
|Hours||7 am to 7 pm|
|Price Range||$45 – $110|
- Near Lakeway toward the western part of Austin
- Offers membership and public play
- Chosen as the best public course in Austin
You will encounter plenty of challenges at Falconhead to keep the fun rolling throughout the game. Keep in mind that Saturdays and Sundays are the busiest days for public courses, and you may encounter a slower pace. The starting hole, a par-4, provides you with some of the best views of the Texas Hill Country. Without a doubt, this is one of the best public golf courses in Austin.
The Falconhead Golf Club switched their signature hole from the 17th to the 8th hole. Many golfers consider it one of the best and most beautiful par-3s in the whole state of Texas. The green was built on a limestone edge that hovers 30 feet above a water feature. Most of the holes that you play on here will play from elevated tees.
6. Kissing Tree Golf Club – Most Environmentally Course
|Address||201 Kissing Tree Lane, San Marcos, TX|
|Hours||6:30 am to 5 pm|
|Price Range||$75 – $84|
- 35 minutes south of downtown on I-35
- Can golf and river tube here in the summer
- Covers 6,600 yards
Located at the foot of the Texas Hill Country in San Marcos, the Kissing Tree Golf Club is an 18-hole golf course that offers lush rolling hills with stunning views. This is an Audobon-rated course, which means that they meet a minimum environmental standard.
The course spreads out over 1,500 acres and is a semi-private golf club. The Kissing Tree Golf Club is one of Austin’s newer public golf courses that they opened in 2018.
7. Jimmy Clay Golf Course – Best All-Around Municipal Golf Course
|Address||5400 Jimmy Clay Dr, Austin, TX 78744|
|Hours||6 am to 6 pm|
|Price Range||$15 – $30|
- Established in 1974
- Municipal golf course
- Covers 6,749 yards
Joe Finger designed the course in 1974, which soon became Austin’s best municipal golf course. Municipal golf courses are considered the best-budget choice. They made a publically owned golf course available to the everyone.
8. Lions Municipal Golf Course – Best All-Around Golf Course
|Address||5400 Jimmy Clay Dr, Austin, TX 78744|
|Hours||6 am to 6 pm|
|Price Range||$15 – $35|
- The course was started in 1924
- The first public golf course in Austin
- This course covers 141 acres of land
The Lions Club started the Lions Municipal Golf Course in 1924, making it one of the older Austin golf courses. This ranks as the best all-around golf course. It covers over 6,000 yards and has some beautiful oak trees and doglegging fairways.
9. Avery Ranch Golf Club – Best Walkable Course
|Address||10500 Avery Club Dr, Austin, TX|
|Hours||6:30 am to 7:30 pm|
|Price Range||$45 – $75|
- One of the most easily walkable courses
- Unique 72-par layout
- Greens that are in excellent condition
A semi-private golf club located in a huge residential development, this course has 5 par-3s and 5 par-5s. The natural scenery draws you in, and you may even like to walk this course because it gives you the chance to take in more of the beauty.
Also Read: Most Expensive Golf Courses in the World by Green Fees
10. Riverside Golf Course – Most Forgiving Course for Beginners
|Address||1020 Grove Blvd, Austin, TX|
|Hours||7 am to 6 pm|
|Price Range||$20 – $50|
- Course was opened in 1949
- The second location of the Austin Country Club
- Lots of doglegs, water, and deep-faced bunkers
They lined the fairways here with maples, stately oaks, and pecans. The signature hole is the 16th hole, which is a par-5. It has a double dogleg and a large water hazard. Overall, it’s a forgiving course for beginners, making it one of the best golf courses in Austin, TX.
Is Austin a Good Place for Golf?
Austin is a good place to golf overall, but it often gets overshadowed due to the Dallas-Fort Worth region having even better golf. Still, Austin has 28 golf courses to choose from.
Is Austin Country Club Public or Private?
The Austin Country Club is a private country club that costs $170 monthly or $2,040 annually.
How Much is a Round of Golf in Austin, Texas?
The price range varies anywhere from $15 to $40. The lower end of that will be intended more for juniors, with the average adult cost around $30.
Hopefully, this article highlights some of the best golf courses in Austin, Texas. It isn’t a bad place to play golf, and you can find a few good courses here worth playing on. If you’d like to choose from a greater selection, just drive to Dallas. If you enjoyed this article, check out our article on the best golf courses in Texas.